Tuesday 6 November 2012

New Job


Just in case the name of this blog doesn't make it obvious, I have a huge passion for coffee. Coffee to me is so much more than just a drink, it's a very large part in my life. Until recently, I have been working as a "Barista" at Starbucks Coffee. Starbucks to me was the absolute best there was, living in Kelowna BC, there was not much else and I was under the impression Starbucks was the top of the line. A few months ago, we moved to the wonderful city of Vancouver BC, and my view of the coffee world changed dramatically. The coffee culture in this city is huge, Vancouver has tons of small local roasters, amazing local cafes and endless amounts of coffee obsessed hipsters.  One company the stuck out to me in particular, was East Vancouver's very own, JJBean Coffee Roasters. Their coffee has a taste of quality and freshness like no other I have ever experienced. I was opened up to the world of fresh SUPER flavourful coffee. Cream has become a thing of the past for me, their Single Origin coffees that they brew with a french press, have the most unique qualities to them that really let the region in which the coffee is grown shine through with every sip. 

Now, with my new discovery of this amazing new world, how could I work at Starbucks anymore? With coffee that has a " 1 year " expiry date as aposed to the 10 to 14 days that coffee actually starts going stale and looses its unique flavours. I had to get out! Just in time, JJBeans very first location branching out of the Vancouver area opened in my little town, Port Moody, and just 5 mins walk from my home! 

I now work for this amazing company and I am learning so much about coffee every day. I am so excited for the journey in front of me, hopefully helping me towards my dream of opening my own coffee shop one day. 

I strongly urge anyone that goes to Starbucks everyday, to step outside of your comfort zone, and try out some coffee from a local roaster, try drinking straight espresso, try a medium roast without cream and sugar and notice the brilliant flavour notes.  Plus the benefit of supporting local small businesses is always a great feeling. Check out JJBeans Website to check out what they are all about! They also do some pretty neat stuff for the communities they buy coffee from. http://www.jjbeancoffee.com

Check out this cool video produced by JJBean instructing how to brew a perfect French Press Coffee.

                             

Thats my coffee rant for today. Here are some pictures I have taken from my new job, the "Cupping" table, the espresso machine, and some latte art I have learned to make. :) 


Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment